The most common reason for eviction is non-payment of rent however eviction is also possible for breaching other aspects of the Tenancy Agreement such as nuisance and anti-social behaviour. 

If you are secure tenant, before you can be evicted from your home you must be served with a Notice of Intention to Seek Possession (NOSP).  

If you are an introductory tenant you must be served with a Notice of Possession Proceedings (NOPP). You can have your introductory tenancy extended for 6 months by being served with a Notice of Extension (NOE). 

If you are served with a NOPP you are entitled to a review of the decision which you can attend to explain your situation. At the review a senior officer will decide the future of your tenancy. There are two outcomes: 

  1. You will be allowed to remain in your home if you stick to a payment arrangement.

  2. You will be taken to County Court for possession of your home. 

The notices are usually served by hand. They are important legal documents which you should not ignore.  Get in touch with the officer dealing with your case as soon as possible. 

If you ignore the NOSP or NOPP and continue to fail to pay your rent, we will then apply to the County Court to gain possession of your home. This can result in you being evicted. Tenants facing a Possession Order should seek legal advice from a solicitor or the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) who provide free advice.  

There is no guarantee that court will not evict households with children. Doncaster Council and other social landlords have no legal duty to re-house those who are evicted for not paying their rent or committing anti-social behaviour. 


What happens when I am evicted?     

Once the date of eviction has been set by the court, a bailiff will deliver a Notice of Eviction which states the date and time the eviction will be carried out. You must vacate the property by this date and remove all your possessions. It will be your responsibly to find alternative accommodation for you and your family. 

On the date of eviction the court bailiff, your Estate Officer or Income Management Officer and a joiner will come to the property at the designated time. If you are not in at the time of eviction, the bailiff is allowed to break in. An inventory of any remaining possessions in the property will be carried out and the locks will be changed. You will be charged for the lock change and the bailiff visit. 


Can I stop the eviction? 

The earlier you take action or get advice the better.  It is more difficult to make agreements at a late stage.  The eviction may be stopped by either approaching County Court directly and filling in the necessary forms or by contacting a solicitor or the Citizens Advice Bureau who can do this on your behalf.  The court will then reconsider your case and you will have the chance to present further evidence. Remember the court may still not change its previous decision. 

Remember if you are having difficulties paying your rent: 

  • Contact us immediately and ask to speak to your Income Management Officer. Call us on 01302 862862 and select option 2 

  • Get advice from the Citizens' Advice Bureau 

  • Continue to make regular payments to your rent account 

  • Visit the get support pages of our website for money and benefit advice 


Useful Contacts: 

DoncasterCitizens Advice Bureau  

Local offices: 

Doncaster Town Centre 
Civic Office, Waterdale, DN1 3BU 
9.30am – 3pm 

The Hope Centre, Church Road, DN7 5NS 
9am – 4pm 

Adwick Road, S64 0DB 
9am – 4pm 


Telephone: 08082787955 or 01302243057  

Email: complete online referral at Client Self Referral ( 


StepChange - Free information and advice about debt 

Telephone: 0800 138 111 

National Debtline - Free Confidential and Independent Advice on Debt Problems 

Telephone: 0808 808 4000