Benefits can sometimes be confusing - especially when you think you might be entitled to something you're not currently receiving.

If you think you may be eligible to claim benefits, it is important to submit a claim as soon as possible to avoid losing out on any money you may be entitled to.

If you're not sure what you are entitled to, try using the online benefit calculator to get you started.

Benefit calculator

You can find more information on this page. If you need any further help, please call our Tenancy Sustainability team on 01302 862050.



If you are unemployed and looking for work, you may be able to claim benefits until you find employment.

Most new claims will be for Universal Credit, but in some circumstances you may be able to claim New Style Jobseekers Allowance.

It is important that you claim these benefits as soon as possible as they cannot usually be backdated.

It is advisable to get independent advice before claiming any new benefits, especially if you or your partner already receive benefits such as tax credits.

Advice is available from Citizens Advice here or by contacting 0344 4994137.

Further help on looking for work can be found on the government website.


If you have an long term illness or disability you may qualify for additional help through Personal Independence Payments (PIP) or Attendance Allowance if you are pension age.

You are able to work and claim these benefits.

If you are unable to work due to sickness or a disability you may be eligible to claim benefits such as Universal Credit or New style Employment and Support Allowance.

You can check if you qualify for any of these benefits on the government website by clicking on the links above or by completing the online benefit calculator at the top of this page. 

If you are a student, you may be entitled to financial help. 

The type of help you may be able to claim will depend on the course you are taking and your circumstances. 

In some circumstances you may be able to claim Universal Credit whilst you study.

If you are studying at Undergraduate level there may be additional help you can claim for various costs. Advice on undergraduate funding can be found here. 

If you care for someone who is sick or disabled, you might be able to get Carer’s Allowance.

This will depend upon your circumstances and the circumstances of the person you care for. 

You can check whether you are eligible by clicking the link which will take you to the government website or by completing the benefit calculator above. 

You will be able to claim your state pension once you turn pension age.

You can check when you will turn pension age here and find information on claiming your state pension here.

If you are a pensioner on a low income, you may also be able to claim Pension Credit.

If you are eligible for pension credit it is important you claim as you may then be eligible for certain grants such as cold weather payments, help with NHS costs and be able to apply for a free or discounted TV licence

You can check if you are eligible on the government website.

If you are unsure what benefits you may be entitled to claim, you can complete a benefit check to find out. 

You will need information about your income, housing costs and people living with you. 

You can check if you are eligible using the Entitled To Benefit calculator here.

Due to the cost of living crisis, the Government is providing extra support for households.

Find out what extra help you may be entitled to here.

If you receive certain benefits you may also be entitled to help with school meals.

If your child attends school in Doncaster you can get advice and claim for free school meals by following the link. 

It is important you claim as soon as you think you are entitled as claims cannot normally be backdated.


If you are on a low income you may be able to claim help with prescription costs.

Click here to see whether you are eligible for free prescriptions, dental treatment, eye care and other NHS costs.

The NHS website also provides information on who else qualifies for free prescriptions due to reasons not income related.

If you do not qualify for free prescriptions for any of the reasons above you still may be able to save money if you regularly have to buy prescriptions through a Prescription Prepayment Certificate. 

Your council tax is important as it is classed as a priority bill.

You can find information about Council Tax here on Doncaster Councils website.

If you are struggling to pay you can contact them on 01302734454

There are a number of discounts that you may be eligible for and depending upon your household income your may be eligible for help towards your council tax.

You can claim Local Council Tax Reduction here.

Get in touch

St. Leger Homes of Doncaster Ltd  
Civic Office 
DN1 3BU 

Tel: 01302 862862  
Minicom: 01302 862719